Iowa Boat Transport
Iowa Boat Transporters have to follow the Iowa state DOT regulations at all times. Requirements for over size boats:
- When transporting a boat in Iowa the hours of operation are regulated. Generally the hours of operation are one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset.
- Any boat over 8’6” wide must have a permit issued by the state. You may call for permits, but keep in mind that some cities and metropolitan areas may require additional permits.
- Any boat over 16’6” wide requires a rear escort on 4-lane roadways
- Any boat over 14’6 wide requires a front escort on 2-lane roadways
- A height pole is required on loads over 14’4”
- Any load that can be reduced to legal, 13’6”, must be done so prior to transport.
- Travel is NOT permitted on Sunday and restrictions may apply on federal and state holidays.
For more info visit Iowa DOT at http://www.iowadot.gov/
**This information is being provided as a helpful guide to assist you in the transport of your vessel. Some of the information may have changed or been updated, so check local and state regulations to ensure accuracy. For your convenience we have listed a website for additional information.
Boat Transport Pros