Usually called Tow N Goes or Drive-a-ways by a small boat transport company because they are on their own trailers mostly. But not always. Flagship Specialized Shippers has hauled many smaller boats that fit into our schedule and helped keep the lights on and fuel in the tank, as well as towed some boats on their own trailers, too. Be it a boat on its own trailer or Small Boat Transport without a trailer, we can handle your Boat Shipping.
Things to remember when you are transporting your smaller vessel.
- It’s just like a big boat just smaller and less headaches, that’s in your favor.
- Smaller boats have less storage areas most of the time. What you can’t stash away, tie down. We don’t want anything left on the highway that flew out that you need in your boat.
- Electronics should be covered or removed and stored.
- If the boat is on its own trailer it needs to be secured to the trailer properly, front and rear.
- The boat’s own trailer needs to have a spare, wheels/bearings need to have been serviced and the tires should be 5 years old or less. Brakes-if the weight requires them, they must work. Lights, yes they must work. Due to the size of many smaller boats on their own trailers, meaning they are legal width, height, weight, your driver can travel at night and weekends if s/he wants to.
- Your professional driver should have an assortment of ball sizes to accommodate most boat trailer hitches. But it doesn’t hurt to know the size ball your hitch requires and tell your driver in advance so there are no delays in getting on the road.
Now even if your boat is “legal” and doesn’t require permits, your Small Boat Transportation driver needs to have a commercial driver’s license, have a motor carrier number (MC#) and should be properly insured with liability and cargo insurance. Did you know that if you pay someone to move your boat, you are insured but your driver is not, your insurance very well may not pay for your loss? No, well now you do. Don’t be hiring illegal out of work pick-up truck owners to move your prized toy, because they are cheaper and can back a trailer. It isn’t worth it to risk so much and save a few hundred dollars, is it?
So make sure your trailer is in good repair and has been serviced prior to your driver arriving for pickup. These few preliminary maintenance items done in advance can save you hundreds of dollars.
So now the driver has arrived and is ready to drive away. All because you did a little bit of homework and were a savvy boat owner. Thanks!